Saturday, March 15, 2008

Funny British Books


I just finished reading Sue Limb's Girl, 15, Charming But Insane.


It was very funny, reminding me of the Georgia Nicolson books by Louise Rennison and the TTYL series by Lauren Myracle. If you read adult novels, it read a lot like novels by Helen Fielding (Bridget Jones) and Sophie Kinsella.


The author's British, but despite having quite a bit of British slang, I could really identify with fifteen year old Jess, insecure with her looks and in love with a boy who doesn't love her back. Jess has to deal with the normal tortures of high school, a perfectly blonde best friend who looks like Britany Spears, and her own divorced parents.


I liked it well enough that I plan on reading the next two books in the series: Girl, Nearly 16, Absolute Torture and Girl, Going on 17: Pants on Fire.
What have you been reading lately?
I myself am DONE with dragons for awhile, though hairy-toed hobbits still charm me.
--Librarian, 38, Charming But Insane

No comments: